The Victorian Rifle Association along with its affiliate Clubs is the premier open range rifle shooting organisation in Victoria.
The Victorian Rifle Association regards Range safety as critical in the safe participation in the sport of target shooting to ensure the maximum safety and enjoyment for its Members and also the general public.
NRAA Standing Shooting Rules
The safety requirements as layed out in the NRAA Standard Shooting Rules shall be followed at all times.
Range Standing Orders
All affiliated Rifle Clubs should have an up to date set of Range Standing Orders.
Range Safety Checklist
A safety checklist should be developed for each Range to ensure affiliated Clubs using that Range have their own Range safety standards.
This would form part of the Range Standing Orders.
- The following points should be carried out by all VRA affiliated Clubs:
- Range Officers control all Member shooting events
- Scorers ensure all shooters only close the bolt when the rifle is aimed at the target
- Safety flags are flown on the stopbutt and Range entrance whilst live firing is taking place
- Safety flag is flown at firing point
- Ensure shooters possess a current and valid shooters license for the rifle being used.
- All rifles made secure when on Range and not in use and secured properly when in transit
- Follow procedures in dealing with misses on the target
- Follow procedures in dealing with mis-fires
Information for Clubs with a Range covered by a Classification Safety Template:
NRAA Safety Advisory
Due to a recent incident which saw a member injured due to failure of a case, the NRAA would like to take this opportunity
to remind members of the importance of ensuring that any reloading gear used in the process of manufacturing ammunition,
is in good condition and free from mechanical or electrical defect and calibrated if required.
The NRAA would also also like to remind members of the importance of remaining vigilant during the reloading process,
especially during the powder charge portion of reloading.
Safety is everyone's responsibility.